Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Worrisome

So I spent some more time trolling through the blogroll the past few days, and I may yet get all the way through all the many bloggers. But I must say I am getting more and more distressed that I have yet to come across anyone in the Western US. Now I know there are folks who consider themselves the West, and my apologies to you folks, but it just doesn't cut it. West of the Mississippi may be the dividing line for Easterners. So, the folks from Kansas also qualify under that context and Westerners. For most Westerners the dividing line is actually the Great Rocky Mountains. Texas still qualifies as the Midwest.
The reason this is distressing to me is that we live in the technology sector of the United States. We are so media driven here in the West thanks to the great distances from one place to another, and the fount of many media known as Hollywood. I have also noticed very few folks posting form the Northeast which raises another similar kind of musing. What is it about blogs that are so appealling to the South, and is this a Southern phenomena? When I lived there I found that many "Hot New Trends" of the South had been quite popular in my California HS while I was still early in my HS career. How did this happen to start and be driven by the South?
I want to know what is going on in my local areas as well, though I do tend to get a large portion of the "national news" from the bloggers east of the Mississippi. Is there a California blogger to be found, maybe someone talking about pastoral issues, or UM stuff? Anyone, anyone, or am I working in solo?

Peace,

4 Comments:

At December 07, 2005, Blogger Rev. David Nicol said...

I'm from the Northeast, and I know of quite a few blogs written by people in my region, but very few (if any) others by United Methodists.

Perhaps the fact that more UM bloggers live in the South is related to the fact that more United Methodists live in the South than either the West or Northeast.

 
At December 08, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's not United Methodist, but I consider him a must read blog: www.markdroberts.com.

Really good writer and blogger.

 
At December 12, 2005, Blogger John said...

I'm surprised to see so many Methobloggers from Mississippi. I didn't know that state even had electricity.

 
At December 12, 2005, Blogger gavin richardson said...

interesting point, i've noticed that but never put a finger on it. and i too wondered if mississippi had electricity. news to me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home